Once the assignments have been sent to Ouriginal and have been checked for similarity you can easily find the similarity scores in Brightspace. You can also opt to receive an email for all submission attempts that have led to a similarity score. You can turn this feature on by contacting Brightspace support.
With Assignment submission
It is possible to go to the submitted assignments and see whether there are similarities between the submitted document and the Ouriginal database.
- Navigate to Activities and then Assignments.
- Click the desired assignment.
Here you will see the Ouriginal Similarity. The higher the percentage, the more likely it is that there are similarities with a file in the Ouriginal database. The score is shown with a percentage and a corresponding colour code.
Click the percentage for more information.
A warning icon above the percentage icon means that Brightspace could not create a similarity score for this document.
With Activities - Ouriginal
- Navigate to Activities and then to Ouriginal.
- Click Similarity Score Submission Details.
- You can then filter on Status (Analyzed) or search for the submissions of a specific assignment with Assignment.
- An overview of the submissions will now appear. You will see the similarity score right away. In this example 64,03% similarity was found in the file compared to other sources.
- Click Show/Hide Details.
- Then click the title of the document.
- Click View Report to open the similarity detection report.
By clicking Submission Feedback you will arrive in the assessment screen of the Brightspace assignment. For more information please read How do I assess an assignment? (grade item, rubric)?
If you want to assess assignments via Ouriginal , then Anonymous Marking will no longer work. Within Ouriginal you will always see the name of the student, whether anonymous marking is turned on or off.
The analysis overview
- A new tab will open containing the analysis overview.
- Click Profile.
A menu will now open.
- Click Sign in to sign in.
A new page will open where you can log in. Use the manual How do I use the Web App? to learn more about the personal data you need to log in. After logging in you will be able to view all data of the similarity report.
On this page you will find information about the document and the similarity percentage. Below findings you can find the details.
- Click Matching text if you only want to see those parts of the document that are marked as similar.
- Click View the entire document to open the entire document.
- Click Include in analysis to remove a piece of text from the similarity detection.
- You will see for each sentence or paragraph on which website or other document the matching text can be found.
- Click next highlight to go to the next sentence or paragraph bookmarked as similar.
Here you will find the entire document. The sentences or paragraphs that are marked are similar.
- By clicking the symbol behind the marked text you will see on which website or in which document the text was found.
It is also possible to exclude found sources from the similarity check. By excluding one or multiple sources, the similarity score will automatically be changed.
- Click the Sources tab. Here you will find all found sources.
- Click the arrow behind the source you want to exclude.
You will now get to see an overview of the main source as well as alternative sources. This means that the piece of text matches with multiple sources. Ouriginal automatically chooses the most relevant and uses it for the similarity score.
- Click the switch for the Primary Source to exclude it. A pop up will now appear.
- Click Annuleren/Cancel to save your changes and exclude the main source;
- Click Save and Continue to exclude the main source and instead add an alternative source.