It is possible that you need to adjust a question of a quiz after students have completed it. For example, you can realise that you have selected a wrong answer as a correct answer, which renders the students' score incorrect. Changing the assessment of a quiz question happens in two steps:
Adjust the question
- Navigate to Activities in the navbar of your course.
- Click Quizzes.
- Click on the fold-out arrow next to the quiz of which you want to change a question.
- Click Edit.
- Click Add/Edit Questions.
If you want to change the questions after students have already done the quiz you will receive a warning notification. If you change the question the scores will not automatically be altered. Read more on how to do this below Alter score for a previous attempt.
- Click the fold-out arrow next to the question you want to change.
- Click Edit.
- Enter the correct answer/change the existing answer. In the example above the correct answer is selected for a multiple choice question.
- Click Save. If you have used the question in multiple quizzes and/or surveys, Brightspace will ask you whether you want to implement the changes everywhere or just in the current quiz. Select the desired quizzes/surveys and click Save again. Please note that if you implement the change everywhere, it does not automatically mean that the scores are updated automatically.
- Click Done Editing Questions to return to the quiz. Click Save and Close to save the changes in the quiz and to close it.
It is possible to automatically transfer the scores that have been updated to the grade book. To do so, you need to have a grade item linked to the quiz. You also have to establish that scores will be automatically exported to the grade book once you publish it. Read more about doing this in the article How do I attach a grade item to a quiz?
Alter score for a previous attempt
- Once again, click the fold-out arrow behind the quiz you have just adapted.
- Click Grade.
- Navigate to Questions (third tab).
- Select Update All Attempts.
- The altered question can be found in the question list.
- The question with the incorrect answer can be found under Questions that are not in the quiz anymore. Click on the incorrect question.
First, you will see an overview of the attempts of the students who have already answered the question.
- Below Grade Type you select Give to attempts with answers to determine for which answer Brightspace has to assign points. In the example, students initially received a point for choosing answer 3. However, answer 2 is the correct answer, so now you have to make sure students will receive a point when they have chosen answer 2. For the give to attempts with answers, this means you have to enter Give to attempts with answer 2 1 points.
- If desired, add a description in the HTML-editor about why you have altered the answer.
- Click Save. Brightdspace will ask for a confirmation about changing the scores for the attempts. Click Yes.
- Click Go Back to Questions.
- Navigate to Attempts (second tab).
- Make sure all attempts are published by ticking the boxes and clicking Publish Feedback.
The student will immediately see the new score for each quiz in Quizzes, and a new grade in Grades.