The Brightspace HTML editor can be used to add several types of content to your course, like:
- text and images;
- video and audio files;
- quicklinks and URLs;
The Brightspace HTML editor looks like a text field with a bar that contains different formatting options. You can find the editor in several Activities like Assignments, Quizzes, Discussions, and Surveys. The HTML editor can be used to write instructions and/or add descriptions to an Activity. It can also be used to add a text or file to a (sub)module in Content.
Adding a media file or URL to the editor creates a link to this specific content instead of a physical copy. This results in:
- the content that has been added not being saved in the HTML editor. This content (for example an image or video) should be stored in a different place;
- the HTML editor not properly displaying the content when said content is removed from where it was previously stored.
- Give the content a title. Select a template using Select a Document Template if necessary.
- Click Hide from Users to make the file invisible to students.
- Click the three dots to make all features of the editor visible. Use the extend icon to switch the editor to fullscreen.
- From left to right, the first part of the bar allows you to:
- Choose whether you want to type paragraph text, different types of headings, or a quote;
- Choose between bold, italic, or underlined text;
- Choose the colour of a text;
- Choose the alignment of a text;
- Create lists.
- From left to right, the second part of the bar is where you can click:
- Insert Stuff: Here you can add ePortfolio files, Kaltura videos, and weblinks among other things.
- Link icon: Here you can add links to course components like assignments, checklists, and discussions. You can also add external links.
- Images icon: Here you can add images from your computer, the internet, or uploaded images to your course.
- Sigma icon: This tool allows you to type mathematical formulas. This is also where you can type LaTeX codes.
- Table icon: This is where you can create tables.
- Plus icon: Here you will find the features Attributes, Divider, Emoji, Symbols, Insert Practice, Insert Element and Insert Code.
- In the third part of the bar you can choose the font and font size. The recommended font is Lato, as this font is used throughout Brightspace.
- In the fourth and final part of the bar the following features can be found:
- Format painter: Use this feature to copy the current format (for example the font style, font size, bold or italic text) and apply it to other parts of the text.
- Accessibility Checker: Check whether there are any limitations in your text that might, for example, make it difficult for people with limited vision to read your text.
- Word Count: Check the number of words, characters, and paragraphs in your text.
- Preview: Preview of the text.
- Source Code: Here you can view the source code of your file.
- Undo and Redo: Undo or restore changes.
- When you select a text or image, a quick menu appears with options.
- Click on Change Path to select where in Manage Files you want to save the content.
- Click on Save and Close to publish your content.
- If you copy a text from Word to the Editor, the layout of the text will not be transferred (e.g. font, size of letters, text color). However, the structure for headings, enumerations and tables will be copied.
- The editor is the same on almost every page in Brightspace except for when you click on Create a File while in Content. This will offer you the extra option to Select a Document Template. You can add a tempate to automatically design the new topic/file. You can use one of the set Brightspace templates, or use a file you previously created in Brightspace. Templates make it easier to reuse created/structured content you need repeatedly in a course in different (sub)modules. This way you only have to edit the content once.
Do you want to know how you add formatted text, an image, audio or video files, (quick)links or a formula to the HTML editor? Please read the following articles: