It is possible to edit your own videos in Kaltura (it is not possible to edit videos from, for instance, YouTube). You can edit them in the Video Editor. You can cut the beginning and/or end of a video or select a specific part of the video and turn it into a different file.
- Click Activities in the navbar of your course.
- Click Kaltura My Media.
- Click Edit next to the video you want to edit.
- Click Launch Editor. You will be automatically be directed to the Video Editor.
- The Real-time marker shows you where you are in the timeline of the video. It can also be used to scroll in the video.
- From right to left:
- You zoom in or out in the timeline by moving the dot.
- Use Select Audio to select whether you want to see the sound graph or not.
- Use the arrows to undo previous actions.
- Use Reset to undo all your previous changes.
- The triangle allows you to start and pause the video. The arrows can be used to jump forward or backward to the beginning or end of the video.
- The Real-Time Input field shows you where you are in the video. You can type in the specific second you want to jump to in the video and it will bring you there automatically. The Real Time marker will move accordingly.
- There are yellow bars at the beginning and the end of the video which you can drag across the timeline to select a certain reach.
- Other options:
- The line icon (top right): you can let your video fade in and fade out at the beginning/end of the video or at the beginning/end of a cut fragment.
- The scissors icon (bottom left): you can easily cut up your video, after which you can trim, cut, fade in or fade out each part separately.
- The trashcan icon (top left): use Delete to delete the selected parts of your video.
- Hooks (bottom right): let the yellow bar move to this point in the timeline.
Trim a video
Trimming a video allows you to change the beginning and the end of a video.
- First, select the range that you want to trim. You can do this in four different ways:
- Drag the grey bars to the new start and/or end points (example: if you want to cut the last 20 seconds of a video, you can drag the grey bar at the end of the video 20 seconds to the left).
- Fill in the new time for either the start or end point of the video in the Real-Time input field. The Real-Time marker will move accordingly. Remember that you will still have to drag the grey bar to the Real-Time marker. It will only jump to the marker automatically when it is very close.
- Click on the moment on the timeline where the new start and/or end point should be. The Real-Time marker will move accordingly. Remember that you will still have to drag the grey bar to the Real-Time marker. It will only jump to the marker automatically when it is very close.
- Play the video and pause when you reach the point where you want the new start and/or end point to be. The Real-Time marker will move accordingly. Remember that you will still have to drag the grey bar to the Real-Time marker. It will only jump to the marker automatically when it is very close.
- Click Save when you have indicated the new range for the video.
Warning: the Kaltura Video Editor will not automatically save a copy of your work. Click Save if you do not need the original video anymore. If you still need the original video, click Save a Copy to create a new file containing your edited video. The original can now still be found on your My Media page. You have now created a clip of your video.
Create a clip
If you want to create a new video to use separately from the original file, you can create a clip.
- Select the range you want to use for your separate clip (check the heading Trimming a video).
- Click Save a Copy.